Since I started working out, I made it a habit to start eating breakfast (after my workouts since I do them fasted to improve my fat loss). I also workout first thing in the morning and I’m not a huge fan of getting up earlier than I have to, so I started making overnight chia oats. I can just mix my oats, chia seeds, water, spices, and frozen fruit together, then stick it in the fridge, and by morning, it’s ready to eat with no heating and no fussing. I don’t have to worry about cooking anything in the morning, waiting for the container to cool before I can pack it, etc. I just grab my bowl of oats from the fridge with the rest of my food for the day and I’m on my way out the door.
Another benefit of this method is that it is very versatile. You can change the fruit, spices, and liquid to make multiple flavor combinations and never get bored! You could use nut milks instead of water. I have even used fruit infused kombucha! I am a big fan of blueberry and cinnamon, but I have made it with mango with a little bit of local raw honey drizzled over the top, and it was also very good. Banana with some dried coconut shreds was a big winner too.
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup berries or fruit of your choice
- 1.5 TB chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon or other spices
- pinch sea salt
- optional: drizzle of local honey or a couple drops of stevia if you'd like to add a little more sweetness besides the fruit
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl or jar with a lid and refrigerate overnight.
- Optional fruit/flavor combinations: blueberry/cinnamon, banana/coconut, mango/honey, strawberry/lime, raspberry/cacao, apple/cinnamon, pineapple/vanilla