I am on the road this week visiting family members without access to my light box and DSLR camera, so please pardon the smartphone photos of my recipes this week. My grandfather passed away and I have been busy trying to ensure that my family is eating healthy meals that follow the heart healthy protocol of a low fat whole foods plant based diet.
This stir fry lettuce wraps recipe was quick and easy to prepare and worked out to only 1 TB of coconut oil per serving. I’ve been trying to ween myself and everyone else off of oils in general, the exception being flax oil, as it is the only plant based oil that is higher in omega-3 than omega-6 fatty acids.
I still use coconut oil in moderation as a food. While the omega-6 fatty acids in coconut oil are much lower than in other oils, it is good to keep in mind that coconut oil contains ZERO omega-3 fatty acids, so that technically makes it an inflammatory food, rather than an anti-inflammatory one. I use plenty of it on my skin, though! One good thing about coconut oil is that it doesn’t break down into carcinogenic compounds when cooked because it is an oil with a high smoke point.
This quick and easy stir fry recipe worked out to only 1TB of coconut oil per serving and it fed 4 adults. Stir fry recipes are an easy way to use up vegetables and they are quick to prepare. Traditionally, the heat exposure is only a few minutes to leave some texture intact for the vegetables.
This recipe had great reviews from my parents and my husband. It is great for omnivores, as it offers a rich blend of flavors that will not leave them missing the meat.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 8 oz rice noodles
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic (I love garlic)
- 4 carrots, shredded (or a 10 oz bag as a short cut)
- 1 celery heart, chopped
- 4 sweet peppers, chopped (or 1 bell pepper)
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos, coconut aminos, or tamari
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 large bunch scallions, chopped (appx 8 stalks)
- 10 oz white button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 TB Chinese 5 spice blend (cinnamon, ginger, anise, star anise, cloves)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add the coconut oil to a large pan or wok at high heat. Add the garlic and crunchy ingredients (carrots, celery, peppers).
- Stir for 4-5 minutes until fragrant and slightly soft.
- Add the aminos, lemon juice, soft ingredients (scallions and mushrooms), and spices.
- Stir for another 4-5 minutes.
- Prepare the rice noodles according to instructions on the package. Most of them cook in about 5 minutes.
- Separate the leaves from the head of lettuce.
- Add noodles and stir fry to lettuce leaves, wrap into a burrito, and enjoy!
- Two thumbs up from meat eating parents and husband!