What is a “super green smoothie”? It’s a super charged green smoothie with a stronger taste of the greens either from using more of them or using more potent bitter greens. I enjoy making these about once a week to get an extra boost of nutrition.
Some of the most nutritional greens are those that grow in the wild. People look at me funny when I tell them that I like dandelion greens in my smoothies. Thankfully, others realize the health value of these wild edibles and have begun to cultivate them instead of spraying them to kill them or yanking them out of lawns.
Dandelion greens are not only good for you, they are good for the earth. The leaves are a good source of beta carotene and the roots are good to cleans and strengthen the liver. They also put nitrogen back into the soil! Our soil and crops would be so much healthier if we practiced crop rotation with dandelions. 🙂
The other ingredients in this smoothie are not nutritional slouchers either. I added tropical flavors to help tone down the bitterness of the dandelion greens, but they can stand on their own as well.
- Bananas are an excellent source of potassium and inulin fiber. Inulin is a great prebiotic and feeds the bacteria in your intestinal tract. Eat your bananas!
- Pineapple and kiwi are both great sources of vitamin C, which will keep your immune system strong. Humans cannot synthesize their own vitamin C as other animals can, and must consume it from plant-based foods. Pineapple also contains an enzyme called bromelain, which aids digestion. Anecdotally, I also find it to be good for my lungs.
- Coconut water is a good source of electrolytes.
- Hemp seed is a good source of plant-based protein, good fats, and magnesium. It contains all 10 essential amino acids, omega fatty acids 3 and 6, and gamma linolenic acid (GLA). Source: http://manitobaharvest.com/hemp_nutrition.html
Given the balance of protein, fat, and electrolytes in this smoothie, it would be great as a companion to your plant-fueled workout!
- 3 c coconut water water
- 3 handfuls dandelion greens
- 4 kiwi fruits
- 1 banana
- 2 c. chopped pineapple
- 1/2 c hemp seed
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender (I use a Vitamix).
- Serve and enjoy!
- Dandelion greens have a strong bitter flavor. This is a "super green" smoothie because the ratio and flavor of greens is strong than someone who is new to green smoothies might enjoy. If you are "an old pro", this one is for you!