I’ve been regularly drinking green smoothies for about 4 years now, and I have never felt better or healthier in my entire life. I had such dramatic benefits from them (such as completely reversing thyroid disease to the point of getting off my medication) that my husband started drinking them too! =D
He makes them himself and he does a great job of rotating his greens. He seems to have more energy when he drinks them on a regular basis. We both make a habit of drinking our green smoothies in the morning for breakfast. Most of my green smoothies consist of greens and fruit, and I find that fills me up adequately, but my husband likes to add some additional fat to his so that he feels fuller for a longer period of time.
His most frequent combination involves adding bananas and peanut butter to his smoothies, but sometimes we also add a good quality vegan nutritional supplement in there too. I really like the one made by Vega One because I can also slip him some probiotics, extra greens, and plant-based protein. 😉
I thought I’d share the recipe here for anyone that might be living with family members who are not vegan. This green smoothie goes down nice and easy for them and they don’t even have to know there are greens in it!
- 2 c water
- 2 handfuls romaine (or other green of choice)
- 2 bananas
- 2 tb peanut butter (make sure it is all-natural with no sugars added)
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (I like Vega One Shake - Chocolate)
- Add all ingredient to a high speed blender (such as a Vitamix) and blend until smooth.
- Add ice for an instant chilled or frosty beverage.